Col. Henry Savage's yacht docked at the St. Lucie Yacht Club. Handwritten on back: "Savage's boat docked from New York City, 1924." Henry Savage filmed his 1916 Robinson Crusoe film in the Stuart area. Savage also owned a winter home called "Two Rivers" on Sewall's Point.
View of dock area and large sailboat. Structures built on the dock include a sign reading "Florida Fruits." A man appears to be moving a barrel near one of the structures. Unidentified buildings also visible in the background behind the sailboat. Note on the back reads "'At the end of the bridge where we buy fish.' 1924."
David Hoyt Coggshall Jr. and his wife, Clarinda Smith Coggshall, stand next to palm trees. David Coggshall's father was a beekeeper in New York and both David and his brother, William carried on that legacy in West Groton, New York. They expanded on the beekeeping business, turning it into one of the most successful in the country. David and Clarinda kept a winter home here in Martin County for many years.
Uriah 'Elias' Simmons (1853-1942) and two girls stand in front of a house and outbuildings. Elias Simmons moved to the area (present-day Palm City) in 1853, where he worked as a beekeeper and boat builder on his 180-acres of homesteaded land. Simmons learned the beekeeping trade from Col. O. O. Poppleton, perhaps the most successful beekeeper in the area at that time.